Ovulation occurs because of LH surge.
Onset of LH surge to ovulation – 36hrs
Onset of LH peak to ovulation – 12hrs
Diagnosis of ovulation :-
Conclusive – pregnancy
Direct – laparoscopy
1) Ultrasonography – collapsed follicles and fluid in pouch of douglas
2) Vaginal cytology – maturation index shifts to left
3) Endometrial biopsy – from 21st to 23rd day of cycle
4) Basal body temperature – rise by 0.5℃
5) cervical mucus study – loss of ferning and stretchability
6) Hormonal estimation
- Serum Progesterone – on day 8th and 21st. Increase in value from <1ng/ml to >6 ng/ml suggests ovulation.
- Serum LH or urine Lh – daily estimation can indicate LH surge and LH peak.
- Serum Oestradiol – peaks 24hrs prior to LH surge.