1.Congratulations on achieving such an amazing feat. Tell us a bit about yourself. Please also tell us your individual marks in each subject.
1.Hello. I am Omkar Jarande. I am studying in Smt Kashibai Navale Medical College. First of all, I would like to thank this platform which will help all of us in studies. And would be happy to share some tips..
Summary of my I MBBS result:
2.So, when all of this is new and the rest of us are still busy figuring the head and tail of the subject, how did you tackle and master the syllabus?
2. With all those new days to med school and entire new environment it is difficult to cope up with studies in initial days but don’t get panic…Try to enjoy studies as we enjoy other things..don’t take tension or stress and don’t over think..Go through syllabus provided by university…which will help you a lot to find out important topics and you will get acquainted it…Study according to lectures…if you read topics covered in lectures on the same day itself, it will not lead to backlog..
3.Did you have a set schedule, a time table that you stuck to? What were the daily hours that you put in self study ?
3.Yes.I always have a plan in my mind about how to study and cover topic in particular amount of time..not a perfect time table though…about how many hours one should study i would say that even if you study for 2- 3 hours a days it’s okay but you should give your 100% in that time… It’s not necessary for how much time you study rather quality of study is important. One should study in his/her quality time which varies from person to person.
4.Did you have a different methodology of tackling the subjects? Any special notes that you prepared?
These 4 Rs should be followed while studying subjects.
I used to make notes as and when I felt..
5.Do you have any special pointers for specific subjects? The do’s and don’ts of it?
5. Here’s some tips for individual subjects
BDC & Vishram Singh (for abdo & thorax)
Neuroanatomy- Sant Sir’s book and Vishram Singh
Histology-I B singh
Embryology-Sant sir’s book
Active participation in dissection is must. Unless you see the things with your eyes you are not going to understand and remember them.Try to imagine course of arteries,nerves,veins in your own body don’t just mug up.You can use bones for example, while doing cranial nerves you can use skull and trace theirs course through bony prominences & foramens.
Do comprehensive study for example if you are reading stomach read everything starting from embryological development, histology, anatomy, clinical anatomy..this will reduce your burden of studying histology and embryology separately.. do not ignore embryology,histology,genetics as you are going to need it at some or other point..Another thing which is important for Anatomy is discussion always discuss things with your friends. For practicals study in groups it really helps because it’s not possible to remember all things for a person so when you study in group you get to learn things from other people too..
First of all do not just depend on any kind of notes..Read any of the standard book which you are comfortable with, If it is possible for you and if time permits try and see another books too…understand the concepts first..Try and make your own notes which will summarize the topics..
Practice for the graphs and flow charts..
Study system viz and important systems(cvc,rs,cns) should be covered first..rememberdefinitions,physiologicalvalues,formulae.
Books- Satyanarayan is more than enough
It is very difficult to remember all metabolic cycles and reproduce them .. for that make mnemonics.. make charts of those cycles and paste them where you can see them easily and try to revise them as and when possible.
Don’t underestimate biochemistry, ofcourse time which should be given for biochem is less as compared to anat and physio but regular study should is important otherwise on the day before exams you are going to get confused.
6.Was there any help that you acquired while exam preparation? Like any visual aids any professional guidance? Or those little tit bits that the professors tell us but none other than the toppers pay attention to? Please share with us.
6. I didn’t go for any professional guidance… Google is always there for help.. online videos and images can help to clarify doubts and concepts…haha ideally you are supposed to listen to professors but most of the time we don’t .. But yes paying attention during lectures reduces time for study as you have atleast heard of topic once..
7.How vital is the Question bank during exams? Does it come highly recommended or you advice thorough reading of the text and having confound knowledge of the subject?
7. Before seeing question bank read and cover everything given in textbooks which will give thorough knowledge..This will help you in solving MCQs & if any odd questions come in the exam you can attempt them… When you have covered everything then go through question bank and see which are important topics and stress over them..you can also prepare answers for frequently asked questions.. But don’t use question bank right from the 1 st reading.
8.How do you propose the students study and what kind of discipline should be followed during exam time?
8. During exam time, cover important things first, do not go for entirely new things that you haven’t done before..rather revise what you have already done… revision is important so keep time for revision and plan accordingly otherwise you won’t be able to recall things in paper
9.Could you give some important pointers on Exam writing skills? And also how should one prepare for a practical exam?
9. For theory:
1.write answers in pointwise manner nobody likes to read storys or paragraphs.
2.save your time by preparing flowcharts.
3.Include good labelled diagrams half of your work is done there.
4.As already said include graphs from standard textbooks like guyton
Group study will save lot of time during practicals and try to maintain same group throughout the year for all the exams.
For viva purpose be thoroughly prepared with most commonly asked questions which teachers will tell you as the time progresses and then go for difficult ones..your basics should be clear first.. Be confident while answering that’s what is most important…
10.Any special tricks and tacts for the students of your college who would be reading this?
10. Take advantage of everything you have got. Our college has a very good teaching staff so take benefit of that.
11.So, do you have any parting thoughts? Like disclosing that secret mantra that you chanted or that special brand of energy drink you savoured? Just seriously though..anything at all?
11. Just set a goal and work hard to achieve it. Also don’t just run behind marks knowledge is important because that is what gonna help us in real practice of medicine.