1.Congratulations on achieving such an amazing feat. Tell us a bit about yourself. Please also tell us your individual marks in each subject.
1) My name is Najmeh Mirkhushal. I am currently studying in Ashwini Rural Medical College and am an ex student of St Mary’s in Pune.
2.So, when all of this is new and the rest of us are still busy figuring the head and tail of the subject, how did you tackle and master the syllabus?
2) Well, I wouldn’t say that I’ve mastered the subject cause even my professors seem to still discover new things but yes, I did try to develop an overall understanding of the subject of course with the help of my professors.
3.Did you have a set schedule, a time table that you stuck to? What were the daily hours that you put in self study ?
3) As many of you would know or some might even discover there is no fixed schedule in MBBS. You’re always either tired after college or saturated at one point or if nothing then completing your journals and drawing diagrams. All you need to do is balance it out. You must complete your work under a given time limet so that you don’t burden yourself in the end. We all push ourselves to the dead line but you should only push yourself to a limit.
4.Did you have a different methodology of tackling the subjects? Any special notes that you prepared?
4) No different methodology as such. Anatomy was easier with the diagrams and visualization, Physiology was all bases on Guyton, the understanding which that book can provide is beyond words and Biochemistry was all because of the perseverance of our HOD who made us want to study the subject.
5.Do you have any special pointers for specific subjects? The do’s and don’ts of it?
5) The do’s are just put your head down and study at some point, either for the class tests or terms or prelims or even university but whatever you study you make sure that you do it with absolute concentration.
The don’ts are that you shouldnt let the subject dominate you and you shouldnt get scared or hate the subject, that’ll just worsen it all for you
6.Was there any help that you acquired while exam preparation? Like any visual aids any professional guidance? Or those little tit bits that the professors tell us but none other than the toppers pay attention to? Please share with us.
6) I just went home and studied. There is nothing compared to the comfort of your home, bed and good food that can motivate you to study.
I wouldn’t study all day and I don’t believe in studying continously or being saturated. Give yourself the needed breaks, rejuvinate yourself and start fresh.
7.How vital is the Question bank during exams? Does it come highly recommended or you advice thorough reading of the text and having confound knowledge of the subject?
7) Due to the vast and never ending sea of syllabus in th medical field, its impossible to completely read and finish those giant books during the exams. So you must have a thorough read throughout the year and have found knowledge about the subject but when it’s exam time it’s wise to rely on the question bank.
8.How do you propose the students study and what kind of discipline should be followed during exam time?
8) You just need to study and the biggest thing to keep in mind is to not get stressed out. You must remain focused till the end. Also staying healthy is also very important, it can affect your mental status a great deal.
During the exams however the more you study and revise the more confident you feel so try to do as much as possible.
9.Could you give some important pointers on Exam writing skills? And also how should one prepare for a practical exam?
9) Firstly, your language should be comprehensible and writing should be legible.
Try to write in points and make as many flow charts as possible.
In Anat draw as many diagrams as possible and if possible try to diagrams everywhere, examiners love diagrams. The more pictorial and ease you give to the examiner the more likely you are to get better marks, also it saves a whole lot of time.
10.Any special tricks and tacts for the students of your college who would be reading this?
10) As far as practicals go, you must attend all practicals diligently and keep practicing them cause practicals is just utilization of your theory knowledge and its the basis of your future.
11.So, do you have any parting thoughts? Like disclosing that secret mantra that you chanted or that special brand of energy drink you savoured? Just seriously though..anything at all?
11) Always seek knowledge not marks cause nobody asks you how much you got in any subject but knowledge never goes waste.