Yogita Dental College and Hospital, Khed
First Year Topper
1.Congratulations on achieving such an amazing feat. Tell us a bit about yourself. Please also tell us your individual marks in each subject.
1)Pooja Jadhav- YOGITA DENTAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL KHED.
1. I’m a fun loving person, dedicated towards my aim.
I believe that
SMART WORK + HARD WORK are keys to success, Use them WISELY for sure SUCCESS!
Human Anatomy 152
Physiology and biochem 162
Dental anatomy and histology 151
2.So, when all of this is new and the rest of us are still busy figuring the head and tail of the subject, how did you tackle and master the syllabus?
2. When everything was new, even I was not comfortable with all subjects, specially DADH because that is totally a different subject for all of us. But I used to do one thing and that is if a lecturer teaches a topic, I used to go through it once in the evening!! That’s the best thing because it fixes the concepts which are fresh in our mind.
3.Did you have a set schedule, a time table that you stuck to? What were the daily hours that you put in self study ?
3. Many a times, I have tried making a schedule or a timetable but it doesn’t work as I don’t follow it. Rather, I believe whenever we feel like studying, we should. Making a timetable and studying is forceful study. Once we recognize the importance of studying and develop interest in it we study better.
And I use to study according to my mood, sometimes for 6 or 12 hours or sometimes I would not touch my books at all :p
4.Did you have a different methodology of tackling the subjects? Any special notes that you prepared?
4.Methodology is so simple. I don’t like to mug up things. I like to understand the particular concept. I know it’s time consuming but it helps in the long run!! For eg: in Anatomy you have to imagine many things and understand them.
5.Do you have any special pointers for specific subjects? The do’s and don’ts of it?
5. Anatomy: diagrams are the most important, so you have to practice those and try to see the specimen of organs and study them.
Physiology: study in the form of flowcharts… it’s simple to understand and remember.
Biochemistry: understand the chemical reactions in it, how they occur, why they occur. And cycles and examples can be remembered by abbreviations.
DADH: Phulari is best book for dental anatomy because if we just go through the images in it, it’s more than enough and for dental histology H & E diagrams should be practiced and concepts should be made clear.
6.Was there any help that you acquired while exam preparation? Like any visual aids any professional guidance? Or those little tit bits that the professors tell us but none other than the toppers pay attention to? Please share with us.
6. No I didn’t acquire any professional guidance, but my seniors did guide me.
And I used to note all the important teachings in class.. it helped me a lot.
7.How vital is the Question bank during exams? Does it come highly recommended or you advice thorough reading of the text and having confound knowledge of the subject?
7. I advice thorough reading of text but during exam time question bank plays a major role as we get an idea about the type of questions asked in exam and hence we can prepare accordingly.
8.How do you propose the students study and what kind of discipline should be followed during exam time?
8. Usually during exam time we get hyper or tensed… and hence get confused. Students take 4 books for one subject from different publications!! I believe that it wont work!! According to me we should read only that book which we read the whole year.
And during exam time, skipping meals and sleep is just useless. If our brain doesn’t get energy, how will it think?
I sleep for 8 hours daily, even during exam time. It keeps me fresh!!
9.Could you give some important pointers on Exam writing skills? And also how should one prepare for a practical exam?
9. Most important thing is presentation. If our paper is shabby then though our answers are absolutely correct there are chances of getting less marks. So our paper should be neat and clean. No scratches or dirty handwriting, underline important points. This will definitely give you extra marks.
10.Any special tricks and tacts for the students of your college who would be reading this?
10. Note down all important points taught in class and you have to study on your own.
11.So, do you have any parting thoughts? Like disclosing that secret mantra that you chanted or that special brand of energy drink you savoured? Just kidding. Seriously though, anything at all?
11. Yes. I believe in Almighty God, trust him and study well!! Success is in your pocket.